October 11, 2015

An Island and a Dream #1

“I really don't know why it is that all of us are so committed to the sea, except I think it's because in addition to the fact that the sea changes, and the light changes, and ships change, it's because we all came from the sea. And it is an interesting biological fact that all of us have in our veins the exact same percentage of salt in our blood that exists in the ocean, and, therefore, we have salt in our blood, in our sweat, in our tears. We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea - whether it is to sail or to watch it - we are going back from whence we came." John F Kennedy

I truly feel that I'm returning to my origins when I'm near the sea. For as long as I can remember, I would play the sounds of ocean waves at night to help me fall asleep. Now I fall asleep with my window open and listen to the Atlantic ocean. 

The universe is so in tune that even a passing thought can be heard. My intention was not to move to Surf City, Long Beach Island, but this hanging in my bedroom makes me know something mystical brought us here. The plan I had in mind was to move closer to my office in University City in order to finish up working on a study for Upenn before my big departure next summer, but the wind had something else in mind.
Lately, more than ever I've been drawn to what makes me come alive. I actually don't do "intentions". I ride this rhythm that I can't really express in words. I have the support of my tribe now so it doesn't even feel bold, or brave, or daring, or like I'm doing something out of the ordinary. I'm living my life. I'm listening to the voice inside of me and taking action on what I hear. I'm living from my heart and trusting that even if I fall I can always rise up again. It's how I realized who I loved and how to love him and be loved by him. It's how my daughter's health has returned. It's everything.

We discovered this bliss of an island over the summer when Justine suggested I check out Barnegat Light House. I haven't found a beach that I really connected with since we returned from Florida to the Northeast. With a giant Ron Jon surf shop and this vast, secluded beach with cities named "Surf City" and "Ship Bottom" I instantly fell in love. I mean come on it sounds like Sponge Bob Square Pants and who the hell doesn't want to live under the sea in a pineapple?

A loud "get out of here for awhile" echoing in my head one sleepless night in Washington Square West was what led me to discovering our new home in Surf City. All of us were craving more health, sea air and serenity. Washington Square West, Queen Village, Society Hill, all stunning, classy, historic, friendly neighborhoods in Philadelphia near Pennsylvania hospital and the heart of the city, but I wouldn't describe it as peaceful. My lungs have been persistently requesting salty, clean air with diagnosis like, "exercise induced asthma", I got the hint. While searching for our next home I ran across a lake house that was renting for the winter at a really low rate. I couldn't understand why it was so cheap. BUT, turns out there are a TON of OFF SEASON rentals that are gorgeous and can be rented for an astoundingly low rate for the winter. Apparently the beach is not as stunning during the winter? That's news to me. Just yesterday our neighbors pitched giant tents on the beach, drove their jeeps near the breaks, with their surf boards and fishing poles in the back. With water boots, beach chairs and blankets, they spent the entire day on the beach, catching and later cooking their dinner. This is living.

I am now saving $500 on a 3 bedroom, fully furnished gorgeous home and get to squish my toes in the sand every day, watch the sunrise and sunset as I run barefoot through the still warm water. I won't ever rent unfurnished again! My home on 7th and Lombard was $500 more and half the size. I'm still trying to clear out all the furniture. I'm breathing the fresh air once again and gazing at stars all while still getting to enjoy the vibrant city life in Philadelphia during the week. I will always love the buzz of the city. That will never change, but I knew I needed a place where I can think and focus on building my new health and fitness business. Being part of a number two team comes with its own buzz. Who knew it could save me money, make me money and save my health to chase my dreams. To think this all started with my daddy Dean's surfboard, a return of my loved one's illnesses and the frustration that comes with not living your life to the fullest. I'm never turning back. I can't wait to tell you where we will be headed in June! What's your dream?
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Mazey Lotus Blog | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig