March 31, 2014

2 years of studio time pre-yoga teacher training recommended

When we love something, some of us get the urge to jump right in. I won't mention any names, but they have been referred to as, "I love you sluts" (film writer reference.)
Other's so delicately observe, taking each step with careful consideration, so deliberate and respectful. Less messy.

Philadelphia was just voted one of the most yoga friendly cities in the country. I'm inclined to agree.
After 15 years with Rodney Yee and my cozy home mat, which often gets lathered with shea butter instead of sweat, we have embarked on a new future with the yoga community in this city- even extending into my work with UPENN. Ivy League Yogi's are a special sort. Yoga is included in the Physical Therapy model in the cancer center.

Each class brings a new awareness of how much I am capable of, how far I have come and how far I have to go.

Teaching my very bendy toddlers, who are now far more advanced yogini's than myself, is an entirely different platform than what I will be embarking on in the future.
A room filled with strong minds, strong bodies and uplifted souls who will be looking for my guidance, my strength, my healing and my adjustments, to bring them deeper will require me to go deeper.

The Yoga Garden, is a few steps away from home. Among their prerequisites for training yoga teachers- two years of yoga classes in a formal studio setting prior to applying to their teacher training.
They also come recommended by the yoga and Advanced medicine community at Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine.

Today I decided I will be taking the advice to train for two years prior to applying to teach. As part of that training, strength training. 
Yoga is something that takes baby steps, "forces you to go slow into each transition" A. Holmes today as I was dripping buckets of sweat onto my mat, the floor, the blocks, the kind man beside me- just wanting to push through into butterfly...
This requires strength, fortitude, persistance, patience, breath, flexibility that elongates over time, all of a physical and spiritual nature. This practice is challenging and takes time to develop.
Among the other trainings out there, a four year school in the Iyenger style and a Mysore style training, which only exists in India.

I'll be embarking into my first Mysore, India Ashtanga class this week.
That is if I can get my ass out of bed with a butt cracking, 6:30 am start time; 
Disciplines of freedom.
You can also come in and out of this class, as you please, which I find inviting.
Mysore practice honors the flux of the moon, with yin yoga practices, which aim target at the ligaments and even fascia.
Considering I function along the patterns of the moon, I'm called to this practice.

For the next two years, I'll be training in order to practice.
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Mazey Lotus Blog | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Designed by pipdig